Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Perfect Peach Journey

The girls returned excited about our second session.  I was happy to learn that everyone had completed their homework and journal assignments.  They had the opportunity to look deep within and tell me who they are.  I love their honesty and their willingness to grow. 
In this session we discussed ‘Perception’.  The discussion started with defining perception, understanding what it means and led to why it is important.  My goal was to get them to realize that they have a certain amount of control over how they are perceived.  The examples used were the way they dress, talk, and carry themselves.  We looked at a few pictures from magazines.  One that was very heavy was the picture I showed them of Montana Fishburne dressed very provocatively.   The discussion was about how Montana thought that by following in Kim Kardashian’s footsteps by making a sex tape to become famous was the thing to do to become successful.  The discussion could have gone on for hours.  As the conversation went on they appeared to have a better understanding about perception, how they think they are perceived, and how they want to be perceived as well as how what you do today can effect tomorrow.  We talked about the role models they see and who they want to follow after.  I had a special guest surprise them.  Shanti Das, CEO and Founder of Press Reset Entertainment.  I felt it was important to expose them to the other side of the music industry, a female music executive doing very big things.  They were inspired and amazed to learn about the role of marketing an album. (They thought females in the music industry either sang or starred in videos)  Shanti shared her recent book, ‘The Hip-Hop Professional: A Woman’s Guide To Climbing The Ladder of Success In The Entertainment Business.

We took some time to act out scenes from my novel 'Who Said Peaches Were Perfect?' and that led to the discussion on ‘Domestic Violence’ and the signs of it in a relationship.   The real talk was heavy, especially when we talked about the abusive behavior coming from both sides (the male and the female).  Not just physical but emotional abuse.  I had a special guest, Erica Benoit, a celebrity wardrobe stylist come by and join in the discussion.  There were things discussed that was not recognized by the girls as abusive behavior, which was disheartening.  I was moved by some of the experiences at such a young age.  I left them with this inspiration:

When a rock caused major damage to the right side of my face almost causing me to lose my right eye I learned self-value.  When my biological father died and we had never had a real conversation about his absence I learned about forgiveness.  When I became a single mother of two I learned about self-worth and survival.  Of course, I did not realize I was learning until after the experiences and the lessons were over.

Every experience, no matter how painful, traumatic, unexpected, or confusing it may seem, is an opportunity to learn.  At times, we learn about our selves.  In other instances, we learn about others.  We learn what to do, and what not to do.  We learn when to wait, how long we are capable of waiting.  In the midst of the most difficult lesson, we learn the tenacity of spirit and how far it will take us.  At the end of it all, we have developed character.

Always remember, every experience is merely a trip through life’s classroom. Some classes have big, fat, ugly, mean teachers; this does not mean they do not know what they are doing.  In some classes, you will have a great deal of homework.  Good!  You are being forced to study, pay attention, and take notes.  In each of life’s learning experiences, our job is to get the lesson, and practice what we have learned.  What will make the lessons easier is to remember, everything you learn can someday be put to good use, and you will be better because of what you have learned.  No one is ever going to be perfect but if you look to get the lesson from every experience you will grow.



4 comments:

Dc Boss G said...

Continue to LEAD and Help others Make a Impact on all that they come into contact with...im Moved by your efforts....-Dc

tracy nicole said...

Thank you! I appreciate your comment!

Anonymous said...

I am truly inspired by the,way you have changed the lives of my girls in such a short period of time!! Their self-confidence is emanating from the more and more!!! I'm so glad they are on the peach journey!

tracy nicole said...

Thank you! That warms my heart! I am only a vessel.